Tuesday 14 June 2011

Hope

You clambered over me and I picked you up with what felt like, just one finger. You weighed nothing. I felt every bone in your spine as I rubbed my hand over your back. You asked me for my water-bottle and drank it so fast as if you had not had a drink for days. You smiled at me and made me laugh. I hope I made you laugh. I hope it made you forget, for just those few minutes, where you live. Do you realise that not everyone lives in a house like yours? The house I have is made of bricks rather than wood. It has a tiled, insulated waterproof roof instead of a leaky tin roof. I can go to the toilet in private. I had toys to play with when I was a child. I had enough toys for all the children in your neighbourhood. The money I have in my pocket alone could feed your family for a week. I have enough money in my bank account to get you and your family out of this situation. You could have a better house. You could go to a good school, get an education and be a somebody rather than a nobody.
But… I alone can not take everyone from this place. My money alone wouldn’t make a lasting difference. I don’t know how I can help you all. I know you don’t need my tears of pity. What can I do? I can love you. I can help show you hope. There is hope. I know a God who loves you. You are important to him. You may have heard about him. You may even know him for yourself. Place your hope, trust and life into his hands and you will have an amazing eternal life with him. You will not have to live like this forever.

Written after visiting children living in the shanty town

“He (God) will wipe away every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away”   Revelation 21 v 4

No comments:

Post a Comment