Tuesday 12 July 2011

Speech and Language Therapy

Today I started doing some Speech and Language therapy assessments with the children. It was really good to do something that is familiar to me. Even though it was different from being in the UK, not having many resources at my fingertips or having ALL the words I need, I got by. I began doing a simple language assessment to see how much the children understood, beginning at just single words. Some children could show me a picture of the word I said, others could understand up to 2 words in a sentence. Some struggled to find the right picture that I was talking about.
I had a really great morning. I like to feel I have a purpose. I like to have a role. It challenged me and I had to be resourceful with what I have got, which of course was hard but good to develop my skills.
I translated the Derbyshire Language Scheme into Spanish, (only the 1 and 2 Word Level so far) and worked through that with the lower ability class. Many of the children in that class only speak 1 word utterances (or possibly 2 words on a good day.) One boy has Autism and is pre-verbal. He is such an interesting boy. He makes fleeting eye contact, obviously prefers to be on his own but is getting better at tolerating being with other children, for example, when prompted he will eat his snack at a table near the others. He obviously does not handle change well, for example if we do something that is not within his routine. He really enjoys touch and holding or stroking his hands will help calm him down.
The children in the other class are quite verbal. A few of them are able to hold a conversation. Some conversation style group work would be of use to them. Working on; making and keeping friends, conversation skills and some attention, memory and listening games. Being here has helped me appreciate all that English schools have and take for granted. Many special schools are well resourced, even if it does not feel like it.
I am so challenged being here, working in the school but it is exciting and good to finally be here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment