Monday 4 July 2011

Safely in Santo Domingo

3 buses, $3 and 3 hours later and I arrive in Santo Domingo. Life in Santo is going to be very different to life in Quito, but I eagerly await the challenge.
It has been an interesting day, full of mixed emotions. I had my last breakfast with my family in Quito and felt sad to leave the family who had been so kind to me. Then my journey began. My last bus, which is the longest part of the journey, was crammed full. I thought I was going to have to stand the whole way but this mum let me sit in her child’s seat. I felt so guilty as her 5 year old son stood in the ailse, looking at me with sad eyes, as I took his seat. He sat with me and his mum and also his Aunties too, so he did get somewhere to sit. It was nice to chat to the mum and she invited me to her house when I was next in Quito, to try her cooking! The journey down to Santo Domingo is literally downhill. Quito is very high up. As the journey goes on it gets hotter and more humid as we wind through the roads down the mountain. For some reason today there were people being sick, people complaining they didn’t have seats and generally having a moan. It is good to finally be here!

My postal address is:  

Casilla 17-24-351
Santo Domingo de los Tsachilas,
Ecuad
or

It is good to be here and I go to work in the school tomorrow. Such a big challenge but I am excited as I totally know I can not do it in my own strength but will have to rely on God and I hope to glorify him.
I look forward to sharing the rest of my journey with you…

No comments:

Post a Comment