Friday 19 August 2011

End of the week

What a week! Wednesday morning my poorly friend went for a blood test and I worked at the school. It was a challenging morning. I worked with one little girl, doing some sewing with her. Bless her, the task was quite challenging as she has very limited fine motor skills. She flatly refused help from me but I wanted her to finish the task, and so, ignoring the amount of times she stuck her tongue out at me, the 2 of us and the sewing needle finally finished the task! Hooray! I then had the whole motorbike surprise and also found out my friend has Typhoid, which is treatable with the right medication. We are blessed to be able to afford the good medication, see a good doctor and go to a good clean clinic for tests. Many people here do not have that privilege and without treatment, suffer awful symptoms and it can be life threatening.
Thursday came and I pottered into town and headed to a birthday party in the afternoon! Things are just never how you expect! I saw how this group of women had fun playing party games. I ended up singing a song in front of everyone, in English (as I did not know any Spanish ones) and later found out people thought I was German and sang them a German song! Surprisingly I wasn’t that embarrassed, like I would have been if it was in England. I don’t sing very well and do not sing in front of many people, however, I think I am getting over being embarrassed and getting used to being challenged!
Friday I worked in the school in the morning and now as I write this, I am looking forward to going to the beach for the day tomorrow to visit a short term mission team. I am looking forward to seeing the sea and having a busy day. One of my good friends is getting married on Saturday and I am sad not to be there so I want to be busy. I’m sad to miss her big day and celebrate with her. Sad not to be able to give her a hug, catch up with friends and laugh with them. However, I am actually very happy here.

1 comment:

  1. WOW! - I'm afraid that I haven't caught up with your blog for at least a week, and what a busy week you're having!
    Such a challenge to teach about the colours. You are amazing at persevering. I'm sure the time, patience and love that you show those children will have a massive impact on their lives, but I know how tiring it is to try and keep the attention of children that struggle to concentrate, and that you can do all of this in another language is incredible! I hope your weekend will give you a chance to relax after such a busy week.
    Lots of love from the Loves XXXX

    ReplyDelete