Tuesday 2 August 2011

Good and bad times:

August 1st

There have definitely been more good days than bad days for me here in Ecuador. I have loved being in this country. It certainly isn’t a place I would have chosen to live but I think most of the time I enjoy being here because I feel so sure I am meant to be here now. I feel encouraged by friends and family at home and I am enjoying getting stuck into my work and getting to know the children and people from church.
Last week I have a week off school and so I went to the beach with 2 English friends. It was so nice to go and have a little break and go to the beach. The little town was very beautiful and the sea was lovely. We did some exciting things like seeing the whales and doing a parachute jump off a cliff, over the sea. (You can see some videos/photos on my facebook page)



I definitely felt relaxed after the week off! I thought a lot about the place we visited. It was so laid back, life was very simple there and the people who lived/worked there all knew each other well. I wondered if I would like to live there as it is so nice! I came back here, back to work and a normal routine. It felt a little boring in comparison. However I came to the conclusion that I am the most happiest when I know I am in the right place, working hard, doing what I love. I think that is working with children with special needs and I want to do everything well to glorify God.
Colossians 3 v 17
“And WHATEVER you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus”
This Sunday was a really up and down day. I didn’t have a very nice walk to church and ended up getting to church with tears in my eyes, trying my hardest to fight them away. Once I arrived at church I was greeted by a group of 20 or so Americans who were visiting, doing a short term mission trip for week, encouraging our church. They were all so full of energy, life and excitement. They had been working alongside the church here and definitely brought a lot of enthusiasm. They were exactly what I needed that day! They were all so excited by everything Ecuadorian; things that I have begun to take for granted here. I went with them to visit a shanty town and they shared some of what God has done for them and then played some football with the children and adults. It brought a lot of fun and happiness into that place and it was great to see all the families there together.
I guess life is full of ups and downs but through it I really do want to try to live out Colossians 3 v 17, doing everything to glorify God.

No comments:

Post a Comment