Tuesday 2 August 2011

Santo Domingo routine

Let me give you an insight into what my week vaguely looks like here in Santo Domingo, contrasted with how it would be in England. Obviously every day is different here and plans, if made at all, are loose plans. Things often never work out as you think they will and time runs on “Ecuadorian time”

Monday 7am:
England: Wake up, have some cereal or museli for breakfast, drive to work in my car.
Ecuador: Wake up, have breakfast: broad beans with scrambled egg or soft boiled eggs with a cheese toastie, with a fruit smoothie. Walk to school, across the road for an 8am start.

Tuesday 2:30pm
England: Following my sandwich for lunch, I continue working through the afternoon
Ecuador: Following my main meal for the day of soup followed by anything with rice (chicken, tuna salad, avocado or fish) I would walk to the school attached to the Baptist church. I walk along one of the main roads into Santo Domingo. It is hot, humid, cloudy and there is a lot of pollution from the cars. Once in town, I walk past many people on the pavements selling jewellery or food they have made. (I long for a nice cool swim in the sea, but I know I would have to take at least a 2 hour bus journey to get there.)I hope to spend the afternoons providing some speech and language therapy to some of the school children and helping to improve their attention and listening skills.

Wednesday 9pm
England: Watching TV, talking to a friend on the phone, writing emails
Ecuador: Driving in the mini bus, dropping people home from the Prayer meeting at church

Thursday 7pm:
England: Going to a bible study or for a walk in the evening or just watching TV!
Ecuador: Going for a swimming lesson, in the outdoor pool. Before this i would have spent the afternoon working with a few orphaned children, supporting them with their speech and language.

Friday 10am
England: Working.
Ecuador: Start of break time in the school. The children have a short playtime outside followed by a snack inside. Following this I will either do some 1:1 assessments with the children or help them in class.

11am Sunday
England: Church. Most people tend to arrive for the start of the service.
Ecuador: Church service starts at 11. People are relaxed about what time they arrive for the service.  Following church, lunch with the extended family here and a free afternoon (which is a good time for Skype)

No comments:

Post a Comment