Thursday 17 November 2011

Searching for blessings

7.11.11

I recently wrote on my blog about feeling blessed and how it is easy to say that on a good day. Well today hasn’t been the best day ever and I am trying to say that I am blessed, even despite today.

Today, with my parents, we visited some of the work that I have been involved in.

Blessing No. 1 My parents are here.

We visited the special school and the PEPE classes (Classes for pre-school children in Laura Flores) and in both places the kids LOVED my parents. They loved these tall white giants and it brought me joy to see that, so that’s blessing No. 2.

We were able to buy some UNO cards and some sweets and took them to Orphaids to visit the charity and the children there. The children loved my parents there too and were so excited to play UNO with them (blessing No. 3)

The gifts were bought with a bit of donated money that I was given. Even though it was only a very small gift, the kids loved it (blessing No. 4)

One girl loved chatting to my mum and she could practise her English with her.

After that we took a trip to the post office (no post) and had some cake (blessing No. 5)

In the evening I headed for a swim which I was really looking forward to but found out that the evening classes are going to be suspended. I was so devastated. Swimming is my “time out” time from the chaotic Santo Domingo life. Life is so busy with thinking and talking in Spanish, living and working in another culture and having to adopt new customs and routines, following the culture here and being careful not to offend anyone. It is really tiring and difficult. Can’t seem to find a blessing in that and now I’m sat listening to some music my friend has made and it makes me miss them so I am struggling to find a blessing there! I guess I am privileged to know them, so that’s blessing No. 5.

It has been such an up and down day and I feel very tired but looking back, I can see my day has been full of blessings. Some days you just need to look harder for the blessings than others.

No comments:

Post a Comment