Wednesday 30 November 2011

Silence

When I came home this evening and walked in my room, I heard nothing. Absolutely nothing. Just total silence. It was really strange. It is never silent here. There are always dogs barking, noise from the stadium nearby, cars racing down the road, alarms going off etc. etc. Although it doesn’t really bother me as I just tend to filter out all those noises, the silence was such a stark contrast to what life is normally like. It made me want to just sit, for a minute to take in the stillness. I never do that and actually, I didn’t. I carried on with pottering about. I love it. I always have something to do. Making something for someone, writing an email, sorting things for school etc. I try to just “be” but I find it really difficult. I have made myself a note that sits on my bedside table that reminds me to “be” rather than “do”. To take a photo of it, I had to sift through all the other bits of papers, books and lists that were on top of it to try and find it. I think I will move it to be at the top of my “to-do” list!

1 comment:

  1. Learning that it is important just to 'be' is not as easy as it sounds. Some people feel that they always have to be 'doing'. A friend reminded me that we are human 'beings' not human 'doings'.

    Love you Amy,

    Mum

    ReplyDelete