Friday 23 December 2011

Christmas 5: Women

The women who live in Laura Flores were invited to a special church service and lunch (chicken and rice!!!)
I love this picture. It gives a glimpse into Ecuador; the chicken and rice, the illuminous drinks, the traffic passing by just outside the church, Victoria chatting to the women, and happy faces. 
One of the PEPE school teachers recieving her
Christmas present for her family
Afterwards, they each received a Christmas present for their family. They received clothes and children’s toys. Most of these gifts were donations from England. The women were delighted with their gifts.

I do not really have anything to do with the women’s work. I see some of the Laura Flores mums on a Wednesday afternoon.

Whilst they have a bible study, I do some therapy work with their children.

The more time I spend with the Ecuadorians who work with these women and with the English volunteers I learn more and more about the lives of these women. Some of the stories would shock you, make you cry and just wonder how anyone can live in such awful/difficult situations. Some of the stories are just beyond belief.

Within the charity I work with the children; in the special needs school, the Baptist church school children and Laura Flores children. The charity also works to support women, many of whom have lived/are living with abuse.

The couple which works within the Laura Flores community are amazingly servant hearted people, with a genuine love for these women and a real heart to serve God.
Everyone enjoyed the chicken and rice!
Although I do not know many of the women very well, I do know some of their children. I can not begin to imagine what their life is like. I do not want to imagine some of the things they have seen or heard. I so often wonder what their future holds. Will they ever leave their community? Will they get a decent job to support their family?

I wonder how I can help them? I know my contribution to their life is so miniscule. Some days all I feel I can offer them is some time, an interest in them, encourage them and share a smile through my therapy sessions.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment