Friday 23 December 2011

Exhausted

When asked what my “one word Wednesday” would be; a word to sum up the past week, I replied with “exhausted”. The past few weeks have been exhausting in the run up to Christmas. As I write this at 8.30 on a Thursday evening, I wonder if it is too early to go to bed or not!? My day to day life is probably not as tiring as my life in England. I work less hours than in England. In England I probably do more in the evenings and weekends, but I am definitely more tired here.

Today, after the school Christmas production, I went for a walk. I was so tired but wanted to get out of the house, on my own, to get some fresh air. It was really nice. Just a walk twice round the park, but really nice. I thought about why I was so tired and it dawned on me how different my life is here, than it is in England. One of the most tiring things in my life is speaking in Spanish. Having a conversation is far more tiring than it would be in English. My brain is working hard not only listening to the words and understanding what people say, but also on another level, working out what they mean. Sometimes people assume you know what they mean; not only what they have said, but what they infer also. A lot of that can only be picked up through knowing the culture. My brain also works hard at forming a sentence to continue the conversation. I feel I have got worse with my Spanish. I certainly understand more and more each day but my talking really isn’t good. This frustrates me and the Ecuadorians are so nice, that I am never corrected!

I am also tired because I need a place i can go to chill out. I love being with people and around people. I do not like to be alone. However, I need just a small amount of time on my own, recharge my batteries and then have enough energy to be sociable. I am missing that. I miss being able to go for a walk at whatever time of the day/night, on my own and to think. 

Chilling out in front of the TV is different here. I only have the brain power for an English programme which narrows it down to a very random English spoken film, CSI, Hawaii 5-0 or House. Slim pickings! It is often House!

I also miss being able to phone people when I want to. Skype is a God send. It is amazing to be able to chat to and see my friends and family. I am not sure what I would do without it. However, sometimes I want to speak to somebody now. There and then. But I can’t. I often have to arrange a time to speak with friends. 

Re-reading this sounds so negative. However, it has been helpful for me to realise some of the things that affect my life here, make me tired and therefore grumpy. I love my work and my life here. It is good. It is a whole load better when I am not tired. For 2012 and I am going to make time to chill out and properly rest. Hopefully that will mean there will be a better, more energised Amy to serve here!

After my walk I had a lovely afternoon sleep and was very refreshed for the evening ahead of which you never know what happen! I helped make Victoria some Elf shoes for the Christmas drama, burnt my fingers on boiling glue from the glue gun, went to a drama rehearsal to find it was cancelled and finally finished off the day with some very nice chips for dinner!

Tomorrow is the first day of the Christmas holidays. Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment